Mission Statement: The mission of the St. Cletus Purgatorial Society is to engage all faithful in unifying our prayers and sacrifices to benefit the holy souls who have gone before us. Our society will strive to cultivate a culture of consciousness of the solidarity amongst the Communion of Saints (Church Triumphant (Souls in Heaven) / Church Militant (Souls on Earth) / Church Suffering (Souls in Purgatory)) throughout all generations and reinforce the continual need of prayer and sacrifice for the relief of the suffering souls. May no soul ever be abandoned. May purgatory be emptied!
Dedication: Mary, Mother of Mercy, Queen of Purgatory
The clients of this most merciful Mother are very fortunate. She helps them both in this life and in the next, consoling them and sponsoring their cause in Purgatory. For the simple reason that the Souls in Purgatory need help so desperately, since they cannot help themselves, our Mother of Mercy does so much more to relieve them. She exercises over these Poor Souls, who are the spouses of Christ, particular dominion, with power to relieve them and even deliver them from their pains. See how important it is then to have devotion to this good Lady, because she never forgets her servants as long as they suffer in these flames. If she helps all the Poor Souls, she is especially indulgent and consoling to her own clients. – Saint Alphonsus Liguori, Doctor of the Church, The Glories of Mary
I am the Mother of all the Poor Souls, for my prayers serve to mitigate their sufferings every single hour that they remain there (purgatory). – Our Blessed Lady to Saint Bridget
The St. Cletus Purgatorial Society is dedicated to assisting the holy souls in Purgatory.
Enrolling a deceased loved one is open to everyone at no cost.
Enrollment forms are also available in the narthex in a box with a purgatorial society label. A drop box for the completed forms is also available.
The purgatorial society depends on dedicated prayer from all members. The type of prayer, fast, sacrifice, or almsgiving is determined by each individual’s preference. Ideas include but are not limited to:
- Offer up your Mass participation for the holy souls.
- Offer up pains, self denials, or suffer-ings for their relief.
- Pray the Stations of the Cross.
- Pray the Rosary.
- Spend time in adoration.
- Gain indulgences to offer up for the holy souls.
- Offer up works of mercy and practice virtues for their consolation.
- Light their darkness as an act of love by burning a blessed candle for them.
- Visit a cemetery (tidy up an unkempt grave stone as you pray for the holy soul).
- Pray the Eternal Rest Prayer every time you think of a deceased loved one, and pray another for all the holy souls.
- Perform “little errands” for the sick and elderly, small and hidden acts only God sees, done with tender love of the grateful souls.