To: All Parents of 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th Grade Students
Re: Altar Servers at St. Cletus Parish
We would like to extend an invitation to all current 5th, 6th, 7th graders and any 8th graders who are not already involved in this ministry, to consider becoming an Altar Server at St. Cletus Parish. The ministry of Altar Server is an important ministry and part of our regular celebration of the Eucharist every Sunday. In addition to serving at the table at weekend liturgies, altar servers assist at weddings and funerals as well as at other liturgical celebrations throughout the year. [SPECIFIC REQUESTS ARE MADE FOR WEDDINGS AND FUNERALS AND ARE NOT PART OF THE ORDINARY SCHEDULING PROCESS]
This ministry is vital and as such, requires a true commitment on the part of these young people. It requires a generous spirit, a prayerful attitude and a decorum that reflects both respect and holiness. It is a public ministry and of course it requires training.
We would like to invite your son/daughter to be part of this ministry. In making this request, we also want you to know that these young people will need your support and your commitment as well. They will need your presence and oversight with the following expectations.
Our expectation of altar servers is:
1. that they will be present and on time when assigned;
2. that they will be appropriately attired and groomed;
3. and that they will be responsible for getting a substitute if they will be absent after they have been scheduled and assigned.
On our part, we will:
1. provide hands-on training;
2. provide a written outline of duties, responsibilities and expectations;
3. schedule servers on a rotating basis using an on-line scheduling program which you will complete (we will provide an instructional video prior to your first use of the program);
4. organize scheduling based on information provided by you as to the availability of your child;
5. and honor special requests if possible.
Training for new altar servers will be offered on Sept.3rd, 4th, 10th & 11th, 2019. All training sessions will take place in church. New servers are required to attend 1 Mandatory and 1 follow up training session.
- MANDATORY Session I will take place Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2019 from 3:30 – 5:15. OR
- MANDATORY Session II will take place Tuesday, Sept. 10th from 3:30 – 5:15.
Choose 1 of the above.
Follow-up training sessions are
- Wed., Sept.4th or
- Wed., Sept. 11th from 3:30- 5:15
(choose 1 of the above.)
Attendance is required at only 1 Mandatory and 1 follow-up training session. We will ask for your preferred date on the registration form.)
We thank you and your child for your commitment to the ministry of Altar Server. It is a great honor to serve the Lord at the table of the Eucharist!
Fr. Ken Baker, Associate Pastor/Director of Liturgy
Paulette Bolton, Director of Adult Faith Formation/Assistant Directory of Liturgy
Ray Streit, Altar Server Coordinator
We thank you and your child for your commitment to the ministry of Altar Server. To register, follow this link.