- Our Parish
- Ministries & Groups
- Parish School
- Religious Education
- News & Events
Welcome to St. Cletus
We are a catholic community and school located in La Grange, IL. Our parishioners pull from the surrounding villages including the Chicago suburbs of Burr Ridge, Willow Springs, Countryside, Hodgkins, Western Springs, Hinsdale, Westchester, Clarendon Hills, Brookfield and other neighboring communities.
About St Cletus
St. Cletus is a Roman Catholic Church, part of the Archdiocese of Chicago, located on a 10 acre campus in La Grange, IL about 20 miles west of downtown Chicago. St. Cletus Parish offers a school (3-pre to 8), religious education program, youth ministry, Hispanic ministry, numerous organizations, and 10 masses weekly. Founded in 1951, St. Cletus has been served by five pastors including Fr. Morrissey (1951-1971), Fr. Gallagher (1971-1990), Fr. Burke (1990-1992), and Fr. Klees (1992-2006). Our current pastor, Fr. Clark, began July 1, 2006.
As a parish of the Archdiocese, we are a Christian community of believers and followers of Christ Jesus. We call and welcome all to join our family of faith as we seek to live the Gospel values in our daily lives, community and world. We are committed to providing spiritual nourishment through the worship of God, celebration of the sacraments, Christian education, and use of our time, talent and treasure in serving others with compassion and love.
How to Register
Registration is available any time in the Parish Rectory (M-Sat 9a-5p, Sun 8a-1p).
Our Welcoming Committee is available the first Sunday of every month in room 98 in conjunction with hospitality Sunday. Please stop by, say hello, and become part of our community.
Holy Week / Easter
- 5:00p (contemporary ensemble *)
- 7:00a (no music)
- 8:00a (cantor)
- 9:30a (chancel choir)
- 11:00a (children’s and/or junior choir *)
- 12:30p (Spanish)
* The contemporary ensemble, children’s choir, and junior choirs Mass dates vary.
Consult the calendar page for a listing of dates.
Evening Before Holy Day
- 6:30a, 8:00a
Monday – Saturday
Every Saturday from 4:15 – 4:45pm.
Eucharistic Adoration & Benediction
Adoration begins following the 8:00am Mass and continues during the day until 6:15pm on the first Tuesday of each month.
The Chaplet of Divine Mercy is prayed at 6:15pm followed by Benediction.
Hispanic Adoration continues from 7:00pm until 8:00pm.
Saint Cletus is located on 55th Street in La Grange, IL between Brainard and Plainfield Roads. It is located on the north side of the street across from the Jewel/Osco parking lot.
The Eisenhower (I290)
Exit the Eisenhower at Mannheim South. Go South on Mannheim (which becomes La Grange Road) to 55th Street. Make a right at 55th Street (West). Go west on 55th Street past Plainfield and you will find St. Cletus Church on the north side of the street across from the Jewel/Osco parking lot.
The Stevenson (I55)
Exit the Stevenson (I55) at La Grange Road North. Go north on La Grange Road to 55th Street. Make a left (west) at 55th Street. Go west on 55th Street past the first light which is Plainfield. A short block past Plainfield you will find St. Cletus Church on the north side of the street across from Jewel/Osco.
A New Catholic Church for a Growing Community
In July 3, 1951 Father Gerald J. Morrissey was commissioned by Cardinal Stritch to form a new parish in the rapidly growing southern section of La Grange and Western Springs. The 440 Catholic families in this territory were being served by St. Francis Xavier Parish. After months of survey, a site for the parish was chosen on the north side of 55th Street between Spring and Stone Avenues. The new parish was canonically erected by the Cardinal Archbishop on October 5, 1951 under the title and patronage of St. Cletus, Pope and Martyr. The newly erected United Auto Workers Civic Enter at 55th and East Avenue provided a temporary home for St. Cletus Parish. On October 21, 1951 some six hundred worshippers attended the first parish Mass in the Union hall.
The first building, designed by Mr. Thomas E. Cooke, A.I.A., consisted of a temporary church seating 450 people and two wings containing eight classrooms, a kindergarten, music rooms, and administrative offices. A convent was located on the second floor over the school. St. Cletus School opened in September 1953 with 412 students enrolled in kindergarten through seventh grade. Eight grade was added the following year and the first class was graduated in June, 1955. The Sisters of St. Joseph of La Grange have staffed the school from the beginning with Sister Mary Wilfrid serving as the first principal, until the Sisters were no longer able to staff our school any longer, in 1985.
The initial building was dedicated by Cardinal Stritch on April 24, 1954. Plans for the permanent church and rectory were drawn up, and ground was broken in July 1960 for the new church.
The first Mass was celebrated in the new St. Cletus Church on Christmas Eve, 1961 followed by formal dedication ceremonies on May 20, 1962 with Albert Cardinal Meyer presiding.
In the 50 years of its existence, St. Cletus Parish has been served by four pastors. Father Morrissey continued as pastor from the founding of the parish until his death on July 5, 1971. The following September he was succeeded by Father Charles G. Gallagher until his retirement on January 2, 1990. Fr. Paul Burke was pastor briefly from 1990 – 1992. Father Raymond Klees served as pastor from 1992 – 2006. Long-time weekend associate, Fr. Pat Marshall assumed role of Administrator for short time in 2006. Father Bob Clark became pastor on July 1, 2006 after working as Associate Pastor of St. Michael’s Parish in Orland Park.