To: All Parents of 5th, 6th and 7th Grade Students
Re: Altar Servers at St. Cletus Parish
We would like to extend an invitation to all current 5thand 6th graders and any 7th graders who are not already involved in this ministry, to consider becoming an Altar Server at St. Cletus Parish. The ministry of Altar Server is an important ministry and part of our regular celebration of the Eucharist every Sunday. In addition to serving at the table at weekend liturgies, altar servers assist at weddings and funerals as well as at other liturgical celebrations throughout the year. [SPECIFIC REQUESTS ARE MADE FOR WEDDINGS AND FUNERALS AND ARE NOT PART OF THE ORDINARY SCHEDULING PROCESS]
This ministry is vital and as such, requires a true commitment on the part of these young people. It requires a generous spirit, a prayerful attitude and a decorum that reflects both respect and holiness. It is a public ministry and of course it requires training.
We would like to invite your son/daughter to be part of this ministry. In making this request, we also want you to know that these young people will need your support and your commitment as well. They will need your presence and oversight with the following expectations.
Our expectation of altar servers is:
- that they will be present and on time when assigned;
- that they will be appropriately attired and groomed;
- and that they will be responsible for getting a substitute if they will be absent after they have been scheduled and assigned.
On our part, we will:
- provide hands-on training;
- provide a written outline of duties, responsibilities and expectations;
- schedule servers on a rotating basis using an on-line scheduling program; (we will provide an instructional video prior to your first use of the program)
- organize scheduling based on information provided by you as to the availability of your child;
- and honor special requests if possible.
All training sessions will take place in church. New servers will be asked to attend two sessions.
Session I will take place Tuesday, May 8, 2018 from 3:30 – 5:15. THIS FIRST SESSION IS MANDATORY. All new servers must attend this session.
Session II will take place on Wednesday, May 9, 2018 and Thursday, May 10, 2018 from 3:30 – 5:15. (For the second session, servers only attend one day. Attendance at one of these dates is MANDATORY. We will ask for your preferred date on the registration form.)
We thank you and your child for your commitment to the ministry of Altar Server. It is a great honor to serve the Lord at the table of the Eucharist!