Food Pantry Updates
Last week we shared with you some of the exciting changes coming to the food pantry in May (new space, weekly distribution, online registration, client choice, etc.). We will spend the next few weeks breaking down each of these areas to share more details about where we are heading. If you missed the previous updates check out the Easter Canticle on the St. Cletus website or reach out to Kendall for more information.
What is Client Choice?
What do we mean when we say ‘client choice’? “Client Choice is a method of food distribution at food pantries. Clients are encouraged to select the foods they want, similar to shopping at a grocery store.”
Benefits for the Client
Client choice acknowledges that no two families or individuals have the same needs or preferences. Here are a few ways client choice can benefit the client:
• Enables selection of desired products
• Encourages client dignity, self-esteem and builds trust and satisfaction
• Reduces food waste
• Accommodates needs (Certain type of diet, allergies, cultural preferences/restrictions, or limited cooking equipment)
Benefits for the Pantry
Offering client choice can benefit the pantry in several ways. Listed below are a few:
• Reduces waste and monetary losses; clients choose products they will use and want.
• Allows pantry staff to control inventory and finances by seeing which products are most popular and which are not.
• Volunteer time is not spent pre-bagging, but instead, engaging and aiding clients, sorting/organizing donations, and prepping the pantry for each week.
The St. Cletus Food Pantry will place limits on the amount each family is allowed to take based on our resources, donations, and supplies. This amount will be similar to the current amount that families receive in their pre-packed bags. They will simply be able to choose the item they prefer. For example: dried beans or canned beans. 1 box of cereal, but their choice of flavor, based on availability.
(Source: Indiana’s Emergency Food Resource Network)
Last week some committee members, participants, and volunteers attended the Archdiocesan Domestic Violence Outreach Benefit Gala. It was a good time for all!
Did you know that the Archdiocese of Chicago has a Domestic Violence Outreach Ministry? For more information, including articles, videos, and educational resources, check out their website or social media pages:
We changed lives this Lent, thanks to YOU! Don’t forget to turn in your CRS Rice Bowl in the collection basket or at the Parish Center.
Here’s a note from one of our 2018 Rice Bowls: “My grandson is 6 years old. He donated his entire jar of money to the Rice Bowl, amounting to $58.14. I was very touched by his generosity.”
Your donations are changing lives around the world! Thank you!